By cooldude | July 24, 2014
Timber has always been a dominant choice when it comes to choosing furniture for home. The unrivalled sophistication and class assured from the wooden furnishing easily glam up an ambience- no wonder wood is a favorite both for interior designers and homeowners. Now, a huge range of hardwood goes for the furniture sets but it’s the oak wood which is the most popular. Staying true to the classy appeal of hardwood furnishing, oak furniture is the epitome of elegance & glamour. There are many reasons why oak furnishing would be great for your home décor.
Strength & reliability
Oak has been a unanimous favorite for home furnishing since ages, irrespective of culture. The primary reason behind the huge popularity of oak furniture is its amazing durability. Oak tree is the symbol of credibility, strength and the wood too embodies such grand properties. Oak tables and chairs are usually the prized heirlooms that are proudly passed on to next generations. Oak can withstand huge weight and if you have a high traffic home, bustling with kids, pets and guests coming in frequently- oak wood furniture would be the best choice for you.
When it comes to furniture for your home you would love to ensure the aesthetics quotient as well, added to the durability part. Oak furniture is one of those rare things in life which embodies beauty finely blend with great strength. It’s stylish, rich, warm, refined and echoes the elegant taste of the homeowner.
Then, oak wood is dense with high tannins that make it greatly resistant to pest attacks and fungal infections.
Another great bit about oak wood is that it is water-resistant. Yes, it’s to mention here that oak wood is great used in ship building.
Varied oak types
Oak is a versatile wood with many different types to pick from. First you have Brown Oak that features a kind of brown stain given the presence of Beef-Steak fungus. Then, there is Tiger Oak that features a striped look while Pippy Oak displays cute cat-paw like features on surface. Burr Oak looks somewhat akin to Pippy but is denser in nature. Then, there is Bog Oak which is preserved in the peat bogs. It’s a very rare kind ok oak & hence the most pricey of all.
Tips on buying oak furniture
Oak furniture is really expensive and hence you should be careful while making the investment. Always be careful to get your oak furnishing from a highly reputed dealer, renowned for authentic products. If the price seems too high, there are second-hand stores selling antique oak furniture.
The furniture finishing is significant as well. If you are too busy for wood maintenance, get the oak furniture with varnish as it requires just a timely dusting. On the other hand, oak furnishing with natural-wax finish would demand a re-application twice or thrice a year. No matter whichever finish you take, make sure that the oak grain is clearly visible through finish- the premium oak pieces also guarantee a nice warm aura.
By cooldude | April 28, 2014
Decorating the room of children with cool furniture and canvas art can be an exciting combination for them. Being a parent you might be taken away by the ideas as to how to decorate the child’s room without even consulting him/her or taking their views into consideration. You must also be concerned about the budget, the taste and preference of the child, color, theme, concepts bearing the long term goals in mind. You can decorate the room with bright and lively colors, sporty concepts, and fairyland themes along with ample storage areas like cabinets, shelves and desks. The cost effectiveness of each of the items must be considered before you purchase any of the items.
1. You should make ample of space for storage purposes like for clothes, books, toys. They must be big enough so that your child can use it even after becoming an adult. Bright colored paints can be used and changed with time.
2. The room must be furnished with a bed of standard size. Purchasing small bed would mean that you will have to change the bed frames as your child grows taller.
3. You can decorate with canvas paints that are very attractive which can include pretty flowers for a girl’s room while planets and stars for boy’s room. Cheap artworks are available along with lamp shades, curtains, decorative and carpets.
4. You can also add dolls, stuffed animals and small footballs. The shades on the lamps can complement the theme of the room.
5. The walls can be painted according to the taste and preference of the child. If the child is very active then you can give blue or green color.
6. The furniture should not be built in because later on it becomes difficult to replace them. Miniature furniture can be single pieces that can stand alone.
7. You should not overspend on canvas arts and décor pieces. This will give you enough money to redecorate.
8. Getting ideas from your children will enhance their creativity skills and self esteem. It will also help you to deepen your bond with the child.
9. Creating a Zen sort of a room can be very relaxing and must have dark furniture with two colored effect can be very appropriate.
10. The curtains and bed sheets can have cartoon characters which will excite the children to a great extent.
By cooldude | February 8, 2014
While getting a house built or getting it remodeled you will have to take the help of a home contractor. Choosing a good contractor is important to make sure that the house is built properly and all the safety standards are maintained. But how to choose a home contractor ?
• Before you hire a contractor it is essential to check and research the background of the contractor. This will ensure that he comes from a good company or he has a good record in his work. For cross checking you may have a word with the previous customers of that contractor and know how they feel about the work he has done.
• Secondly you must choose a home contractor who has proper license for his profession. This will help to understand the quality of the work he does. There are several contractors who do not have license and it is wise not to choose them.
• Next thing is to check the experience of the contractor. It is advised to choose those who have a good reputation in the market and have ample experience.
• Before hiring a contract it is necessary to get the quotation and also an approximate budget as to how much the total project will cost. This further helps to prepare a rough budget. You may also compare the quotations of several contractors in order to choose the best one. There are many contractors who offer free quotations for the benefit of the customers.
• Ensuring the payment mode should also be kept in mind while choosing a contractor. Those who ask for initial payment should not be considered. Contractors who have a flexible mode of payment plan are always good and you will be able to pay them in installments.
• Checking the insurance of the contractor is the next thing that you must check. The contractor who offers Workman’s Compensation and General Liability is the best choice. Even if he has General Liability then also he can be considered. Those who do not offer any insurance should be rejected in the first instance.
• The contractor should also have a proper business address and office. There should be a definite contact number so that if you have any questions you can get in touch with him. It is wise not to choose those contractors who do not have an office.
By cooldude | December 31, 2013
Have you just shifted to your bachelor pad and looking for ideas for decoration. You must be having your buddies pouring over soon on the weekends which definitely call for a smart set-up for a welcoming feel. Decking up a bachelor pad is really easy and great fun. The article here offers some valuable tips for a cool bachelor pad décor.
Let’s proceed with the paint. When it comes to bachelor rooms, pink is surely a no-no. You have to settle with bolder hues here such as red, blue, green, dark brown etc. Purple or violet would ensure a funky feel around. If red is getting too overwhelming for you, pair it up with white. If you have got bolder colors for walls, make sure to have lighter tones for curtains to break the monotony.
In regards to the bed, it’s smarter to have a sofa-cum-bed option. A bachelor pad is never too big and if you can fold up your bed when not needed, you are getting a lot of free space in the room. Besides, a bachelor pad is often filled with friends and hence the sofa option would be fantastic here to serve as extra bedding. For the bedcover, something in stripes would look really smart.
Throw in some bean bags for some extra and relaxed seating, much needed for the weekend parties. Get a hanging bookcase to store your literary treasures. Get another couple of racks to make space for your massive collection of CD & DVDs. For the walls- you can deck them up with your old earned treasures like the sports jersey at college or the medal you won at school for being the man of the match.
A warm solid colored area rug would just complete the overall look of your bachelor room.
By cooldude | December 27, 2013
Talking about marble let us first look at the advantages and drawbacks of using marble as a bathroom material- since marble has a very sleek surface there are chances that when wet the person in the bathroom may slip and fall injuring himself in the process. Marble is a soft material, if there are people walking into your washroom after doing some heavy job with stones stuck n their shoes it is very obvious that the marble surface of the bathroom floor is bound to get spoilt. The price of marble also is higher relatively to the price of other bathroom materials. Price of installing the marble in the bathroom areas is also a big nuisance as it is higher, takes more time and effort.
But marble is the most elegant, most beautiful material used for bathroom flooring. It adds class and grandeur to the bathroom without making it look very gaudy too. Using marble tumbler tiles are the best way to make your bathroom look retro giving it a contrast to the classiness of your modern home. They have got this name because they are tumbles in sand before going for usage. This is responsible for their drab look and old fee;. It is becoming a very popular ingredient in most houses of today.
Honed marble is not used much for bathroom purposes are because they are polished giving the bathroom a glossy look which might be responsible for slipping when wet.
Fr installing marble here’s what to do:
Select your preferred marble and be clear and confident about your choice. After that’s done, ensure the sturdiness and levelling of floor. Then arrange the tiles the way you want to put them just for a dry check. After this is done it is best to get help from someone who’s done this kind of work before, a carpenter.
By cooldude | November 30, 2013
Most people prefer going to a beach or book a resort which has a swimming pool in it when they want to relax. This is the perfect time for them to chill with their family and friends. If you live somewhere in the tropical zone then a dip in the swimming pool is very satisfactory. Many people also long to go to places where cool waters are easily available. But if you want to enjoy such places then you can have a swimming pool at your home itself. You need not find out any place outside where you can relax and feel comfortable. You need not travel to distant off places just to soak your body in water.
Having a swimming pool at your own place is like living in a resort or a hotel. You can take a dip whenever you feel hot. You can also invite your friends and relatives and have a party by the poolside. Just follow these few steps and you will have a swimming pool for yourself.
You can approach any of your friends if they know of any manufacturer who provides this facility. References from personal people is very good because then only you can trust them with such a project. There are a lot of contractors who can help you to do this. You can also go online and check for the contractors. You must check their work before you hire them. A good contractor will have all his profile displayed for their clients. It is also recommended that you go through the profile and be sure whether the person has nay experience in fixing the pool or not. You should also check for recommendations and referrals. Feedback of the previous client can also be taken.
By cooldude | November 28, 2013
While a home improvement includes a lot of things that can be incorporated, you must be thinking of something that is unique and special about your house only. Bean bag chairs are perfectly unique and impressive. They are very comfortable and can match the décor of any room. They are available in different varieties and colors in the market. With the growing popularity of these chairs it has become a common choice for people from all over the world. Everybody including the adult and children are in love with it.
If you are planning to remodel your home then you can add this inexpensive furniture in your bedroom as well as in that of your children. They are available in vast varieties so it becomes very easy for all the people to choose as per their preferences. This can be moved around without difficulty. Not all sofas are easy to be rotated or moved from its place. They give a very great look and are really comfortable. It adjusts according to the postures and comfort of different people. They are stylish as well. By providing proper support it helps you to relax. People who sit on it for a prolonged period with not end up having a stiff neck or sore back. When people are comfortable then they become more active and get more accomplishments.
This bean bag chair is being used in the medical industry. They are very good for expecting mothers. In offices they allow the employees to sit comfortably. This will help to increase their productivity at work place. They are available in different styles. The major advantage is the relaxation part of it which helps you to stay fit and healthy. Sitting on a bean bag and watching television can be a nice experience for you. So it must be considered as a good home improvement idea.
By cooldude | November 9, 2013
Have you got pets back home and you are worried about your carpet? Well, pet stain on carpet is a sure menace but again it’s unavoidable to some extent. Thus, you have to be very particular about pet stain removal from the treasured oriental piece adorning your floor. The article here might come handy for you as it’s all about pet stain removal tips from your carpet.
First of all, you must know that an effective carpet cleaning depends on immediate action. Thus, the moment you find your furry pal wetting the carpet, you have to get ready with stacks of paper towel and newspapers. Put some paper towel on the wet area and cover it with some newspapers. Then get some newspapers under the carpet as well. Now, stand on the paper covered carpet for mi8nimum 1 minute. This will help to absorb as much fluid as possible from the carpet surface. Now, remove all the paper covers and rinse up the area with clean cool water. Follow it up with wet vacuum.
Then you have to count on pet odor neutralizer solution to break down the urine smell. It’s necessary because the pet have a tendency to eliminate in the previous places which they identify with the particular odor. In case you apply any kind of chemical carpet cleaner after blotting the urine, make sure to wash off that chemical completely as otherwise the neutralizer won’t be effective on the carpet.
In case of solid waste, you will start off by scrapping of the waste properly. Then, pick up your carpet and clean it thoroughly with specified carpet cleaners. Follow the process with the pet smell neutralizer as mentioned above. Finally you must train your pet to eliminate in some other area if you want to save the carpet.
By cooldude | October 26, 2013
1. Task lighting: this is the kind of lighting which is used for lighting up areas where work seems to be done. For example sewing, cooking, reading etc.
2. Ambient lighting: this is used for lighting up the ambience of the house so that it helps in comfortable visibility of things and directions around the house.
3. Decorative lighting: used as the name suggests mainly for decorative purpose. To make the house look beautiful and fancy.
There is this one kind of light which fulfils all three purposes of home lighting- LED lights. These lines are very innovative and dextrously designed. The importance of all these 3 kinds of lighting is known to homeowners and they are always on the lookout for different lighting in the fixtures and all. LED strip lights are usually made up of small LED bulbs arranged in a strip. The places where these strip lights can be used are:
Cove ceilings: to enhance the beauty of your coved ceilings, LED lights can be made to be installed inside them. This would basically fulfil the decorative lighting need for the house.
Shelves and ceilings: the inside of cupboards are dark, this can be made to look funky by installing the LED light strips inside the cupboard. This would light up the wardrobe and make it more colourful and fun.
Bathrooms: even bathrooms can be decorated with LED. In a bathroom LED would fulfil the purpose of as ambient lighting and decorative lighting.
Kitchen cabinets: these again are dark and dingy. LED lights beneath the cabinets can be used to pop up the look and add more colourful light to make the work of finding spoons and other utensils or for that matter any other thing more easily.
By cooldude | October 11, 2013
It is very important that the living room be well maintained, well painted and attractive to be in. It is this room that the guests usually come and sit in. It is this room which is used by most of us the most in a day. Making this room look bright and lively and giving it a nice and inviting ambience rather than letting it be dull and grumpy. Usually it is a very boring job to select from the long spectrum of different colours. Here is a small suggestion palette for your living room wall.
Blue always works wonders in every situation. Not too dark not too light, blue is such a colour that can be used in every kind of room colour combinations or as a single paint too. Blue has a calming effect and thus calms you down after the day’s work. It is tranquil and serene.
This is the ideal living room colour. It gives out tranquil vibes hence making it soft and acceptable by all kinds of living rooms. Pink can be used with a combination of white furniture. This will give the whole room a very sophisticated and nice look. Pink can be used in small living room spaces too. It’s peppy and is not too boring colour or parties too.
Contrast basically means the use of two different colours on the walls. Usually a contrast of white with some other colour works best but white may look a bit dull so a contrast of a light and dark shade of the same colour sounds like a better idea.
The name itself sounds refreshing and fresh. For people who don’t want to go for the usual stereotypical colours of pink, yellow and blue this options would be great. Brown furnishing would be good combination.